Dr. Orville J. and Ellina Marx Golub
Dr. Orville J. Golub came to the University of California, Berkeley in 1937 as a graduate student and teaching assistant in the Bacteriology Department. As a Navy officer during World War II, he did research in the U.S. Navy Medical Research Unit #1, stationed in the Life Sciences Building on campus. Following the war, Dr. Golub spent two years in government service in Maryland, where he met some friends in the laboratory field and they joined together to open a scientific diagnostic laboratory in Los Angeles. Bio-Science Laboratories performed specialized clinical analyses for hospitals and physicians throughout the country. In the early 1960s Dr. Golub started collecting for the company museum antique microscopes, books, and other items of interest in the field of clinical laboratory science. Thus began Dr. Golub's love affair with antique microscopes, for which he searched throughout Europe and the United States to build his personal collection.
In 1995, the Golubs donated 32 antique microscopes from their collection to the Regents of the University of California as a gift to the Berkeley campus. In 2003 the donated an additional 16 microscopes, in 2005 they donated 46 more antique instruments, and in 2010 Dr. Golub donated the final 60 antique microscopes reaching a total of 154 instruments. In addition, Dr. Golub donated two important antique books: Micrographia (1664) by Robert Hooke, and Micrographia Illustrata: or the Microscope Explained (1746) by George Adams.
All are now on permanent display as The Golub Collection in the Onderdonk Lobby (East end, 2nd floor) of the Valley Life Sciences Building at the University of California, Berkeley.
In 2011 Dr. Orville J. Golub was named as one of the Builders of Berkeley for his generous donations to the Campus.
Locate Valley Life Sciences on the Berkeley Campus
Curator: Dr. Steven E. Ruzin